Tuesdays are the day I embrace my inner domestic goddess. Embrace might be too generous a word. So too would be domestic goddess.
Tuesdays are really a drudgery day. The day when I vacuum. Mop the floors. Dust. Etc. Once a month, I try to iron. Sometimes I throw some real domestic goddess activities into the mix, such as stitching up a new chair cushion, complete with cording. Or play around with vegetarian recipe that doesn’t rely on fat and sugar for flavor.
Heavens, I’d make a great wife.
Right … Did that once. Wasn’t all that great at it. The whole women can have it all – work, mother, take care of the house, wife – just didn’t pan out. For me, too many balls kept getting dropped. Panic attacks popped up unexpectedly. I pretty much felt like a failure at everything.
That’s in the past. I made a few changes along the way. Still a mother. My work is a, well, work in progress. No longer a wife.
Alas, the take care of the house piece remains. It’s a much smaller house, a condo with half the square footage of my prior residence. The wonderful Dawn, friend and house cleaner extraordinaire, retired. Because I am developing a business instead of working full time, I clean now.
One adult, one teen girl, and one large dog all contribute to the clutter, mud, spills, and dust that manage to settle into the space each week.
Why Tuesday? Because I’ve tried Saturdays – and that just ruined the weekend. Over the past year, I’ve settled into Tuesdays, in part because if I don’t get it done, there’s always Wednesday or Thursday, or next week.
So today, a Tuesday, I am sharing 5 goddess tips:
- Don’t drink too much coffee before you clean the toilets. Nothing worse than getting a toilet all nice and clean, complete with blue bowl, and then you have to pee in it.
- If you are looking to entertain yourself and have pets, try some lemon Pledge on the dust mop on the wood floors. Then I let in the dog, an 85-pound mixed breed, who slides from front door straight to the back, complete with mud path, which is so much easier to wipe up courtesy of that Pledge shine.
- Keep a microfiber cloth and bathroom cleaner in the shower. Kills two birds with one stone if you can wipe down the bath after you shower.
- Magic Erasers are a gift to the domestic goddess. They clean white sinks like nobody’s business, not to mention finger marks on doors and walls.
- I’m all for the environment, but a glug or two of bleach in the toilet about an hour before you clean it makes all the difference in the world.
Bonus tip: Send your kid over to the neighbor’s house after school so you can bask in the cleanliness for an hour or so.
Oh, and don’t expect dinner tonight. I just cleaned the kitchen.
However, there is some leftover Cowboy Caviar (bean salad) in the fridge from yesterday. The goddess is going to surrender her toilet wand and kick back with some well-deserved Netflix.